Thread: Lewis Structures

Default Lewis Structures

Here's one of my problems:
    1. Draw the Lewis structures for the following molecules or polyatomic ions:

a.) NH3

b.) SiO2

c.) OH-1

how do you do this?
    -------------------------------
    problem 2:

Find the Hybridizations, shapes, and expected bond angles of the central atoms in the following molecules:

a.) SiO2

b.) CH2O

c.) OF2

how do you do these problems?
    ---------------------------------------

Problem 3:

how do you find Molar Mass?

--------------------

Problem 4:
    Find the molar mass of the following compounds:

a.) Na2SO4

b.) nitrogen trichloride

c.) fluorine

i am new at chemistry so this is all a blur, i need step by step answers!

The Confused :roll:

NH3, in this one the nitrogen will be the central atom. Nitrogen has five valence electrons with one pair of electrons and the other electrons are unpaired. Hydrogen has one unpaired valence electron in its higest main energy level 1s. Place the nitrogen in the middle and put a pair of dots on the top of it. Then, place the unpaired electrons on the other sides. Then, connect the hydrogen atoms to around the nitrogen atom in the remaining spots. The one electron in hydrogen will connect to the one unpaired nitrogen electron, thus making three single bonds in between the hydrogens and nitrogen.

If lewis is dot diagram then: Find the valence electrons (The number is the group the element its in on the periodic table I think.) If you had 8 valence electrons for example. You would put 2 dots on each of the four sides of the element.